My Yard?
Well, I can admit the picture is not really a picture of my yard but it feels like a jungle. The deepest darkest park of the jungle. I should be able to find the dead elephant graveyard or maybe Dr. Livingston.

When we bought this house we loved the yard. It was heavily landscaped on 3 sides. (I used to say it was nicely landscaped) All kinds of wonderful plants. The curb appeal was outstanding. Even the mail box had a clinging purple flower growing around it. I love purple! The deck is 500 square feet and it had a built in planter on it. (notice the word had) Since Ray was in the service and we never owned a home in all those years, this place looked like a dream. It's a dream alright. It isn't a pleasant dream. What the heck was I thinking!! I never liked yard work. I'm not good with plants. I had no idea what kind of plants these things were.

Well, I worked on that challenge. I have a rose bush, tulips, ferns, climatas, day lillies, surprise lillies, a variated Yucca plant, 2 Liliac bushes, several spiria, several kinds of Hostas and lots of them, red bushes (you got me on what they are) a bunch of Junipers, Coral Belles, a Black berry bush and a Mulberry bush, 3 Peonies and 3 different kinds of bushes. There are some little green plants that just come back every year. No matter what. The North side is a giant flower box that runs the length of the house. A flower box that grows nothing at all. Everything dies in there. Finally, after about 6 years I put in Coral Belles into the box of certain death and they stayed and come back each year.

If this wasn't enough, we cut down a icky white oak type of tree that shed all over the yard and the neighbors yard. We cut down another tree that was planted into the landscaping about 3 foot from the foundation. We still have a huge Red Maple in the front yard and a Fir of some kind in the back yard. There is 3 beds of red lava rock, a bed of mixed rock and several decorative rocks through out the yard. We have to put 10 bags of pine bark down in the back landscaping that doesn't have rock. Every year. Every friggin year!

The first year we lived here we didn't realize the depth of what a pain in the rump this really is. We built a flower box under the Red Maple in the front yard. Well, guess what. Nothing will grow in it. It matches the box of death on the north side of the house. I think a couple of the Hostas popped up this year. (after 8 years of trying)

I hate yard work. I dream of the perfect yard. Grass as far as the eye can see. Maybe a Liliac bush, they smell great and don't take much work.

Comments

Popular Posts